(makes about 8 cups)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (not yams)
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil.
- Peel sweet potatoes. Place in pot and cook for about 20 minutes or until slightly tender. Remove from heat and drain off hot water.
- Cover potatoes in pot with cold water and allow to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from water and slice into ½-inch thick slices. Coat a casserole dish with fat-free cooking spray and arrange potato slices in rows in dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a nonstick pan to medium heat and coat with fat-free cooking spray. Cook onions until translucent. Set aside onions.
- Heat butter in pan on medium heat and mix in flour or cornstarch to create a paste. Add milk and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low and mix in cheese. Mix in sautéed onions with cheese sauce.
- Pour sauce over potatoes in casserole dish. Bake potatoes for about 25 to 30 minutes until cheese starts to bubble and slightly brown.
- Remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information per 1/2 cup serving:
Fat: 3.8 grams
Total carbohydrate: 8 grams
Fiber: .8 grams
Sodium: 273 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams